Portland's Lipman, Wolfe & Company opened a Salem branch in October 1954. The store, which housed the posh Cherry Room restaurant, was rebranded by Seattle's Frederick & Nelson chain in 1979 and was shuttered in 1986.
Photo from Salem, Oregon Public Library Photographic Collections
Crowds await the grand opening of Salem's downtown Meier & Frank, in October 1955. The store, whose primary feature was its Oregon Room restaurant, was the first branch in the Portland-based chain.
Photo from Salem, Oregon Public Library Photographic Collections / Ben Maxwell
Before SALEM CENTRE, or even NORDSTROM MALL, there was SALEM PLAZA. Built in the mid-1960s, this city block shopping hub housed eighteen stores and services and included a rooftop parking deck. The structure was given a major renovation in the mid-1980s and emerged as the SALEM CENTRE mall in July 1987.
Photo from The Statesman Journal / Willamette Heritage Center