Stores in the original WHITTWOOD CENTER opened for business between 1956 and 1958. The open-air shopping facility depicted here spanned around 303,000 leasable square feet. A Von's grocery stood at the southeast end of the complex, with a dry goods J.C. Penney presiding over the center of the center.

By late 1973, the retail hub was still open-air, but several modifications had been made. The Broadway had been dedicated in 1961. 2 years later, an incomplete southwest store block (shown in dark gray) was finished, filling out the basic footprint of the structure. At the time of this plan, a new full-line J.C. Penney had just opened its doors. The mall now housed approximately 609,300 leasable square feet.


THE BROADWAY (with Chafing Dish restaurant, Beauty Salon and freestanding Tire Center) / J.C. PENNEY (with Coffee Shop, Beauty Salon and freestanding Auto Center ) / MYERS / SAV-ON DRUG / DESMOND'S / VON'S supermarket (outparcel) / W.T. GRANT / Alroe, Incorporated ladies' wear / Anita Shops ladies' wear / Bank of America (outparcel) / Beal's Furniture / Book Fair Stationers / C.H. Baker Shoes / Comar Children's Shoes / Conlin Brothers Sporting Goods / Craig Richard, Limited men's wear / Daniel's Jewelers / De Marc's Shoes / Docktor Pet Center / Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour (outparcel) / Gallenkamp Shoes / Guilotti Brothers optometrists / Helen's Wigs & Beauty Supply / House of Fabrics / House of Tailoring / Jacques & Victor Hair Stylists / Jolly Roger restaurant / Judy's Ladies Wear / Kusel's Food To Go / Lawson's Jewelers / Leed's Shoes / Monica's ladies' wear / Moran Drapery Stores / Petite Sophistocate ladies' wear / Pier One Imports (outparcel) / Prince & Princess children's wear / Raelon's Gifts & Cameras / Security Pacific Bank / See's Candies / Singer Sewing Center / The Modern Woman ladies' wear / Thom McAn Shoes / Vauple's Whittwood men's wear / Vicki's Toy Town / Youth Town children's wear / Wetherby-Kayser Shoes / Whittwood Jewelers / Whittwood Music / Whittwood Theatre (outparcel) / Wonder Shops ladies' wear

In 1978-1979, the open concourse was enclosed and climate-controlled, with the CENTER officially becoming a MALL. The Food Park Food Court was completed in the fall of 1980. Mervyn's came on board -as a fourth anchor- in the fall of 1981. By this time, Myers Brothers had been rebranded as The Boston Store.

A vintage view of the enclosed mall's East Wing.
Photo from