These large, outlying developments, and the new freeways linking them with the center city, led to the development of the suburban shopping center or "mall" as we came to know it.



A circa-1958 view of homes in Levittown, Long Island, the first of four planned communities built by the Levitt & Sons firm. Defining the term "postwar suburb", Levittowns were built on Long Island, New York (1947-1951) and in Pennsylvania (1951-1958), New Jersey (1958-1963) and Puerto Rico (1963-1970).
Photo from Library of Congress



An aerial view of Levittown, Pennsylvania. Located 20 miles northeast of Center City Philadelphia, this moderne metropolis comprised over 17,000 homes; all built within a period of six years.
Photo from Wikipedia / "Shauni"



Fair use of "NBC Peacock" logo and quadraphonic album art :

The images from the NBC television network, ABC Records, Columbia Records and RCA Records illustrate a key moment in mid-20th century history that is described in the article. The images are of lower resolution than the originals (copies made from them would be of inferior quality). The images are not replaceable with free-use or public-domain images. The images do not limit the copyright owners' rights to distribute the graphics in any way. The images are being used for informational purposes only, and their use is not believed to detract from the original graphics in any way.


We would also like to thank "VintageAppliGuy" for providing information for this article.
Maryland's Iverson Mall



A late '60s aerial of the complex, showing its unique design. The structure straddles a 4-lane thoroughfare, which passes beneath it at midpoint.
Photo provided by Ms. Jeannette Kainu, Marketing Director, Iverson Mall

A newspaper ad announcing the grand opening of IVERSON MALL, which was held September 21, 1967. Typical of the time is the perpetual springtime reference. It was used in copy promoting nearly every new interior mall built in the early-to-mid-1960s.
Graphic provided by Ms. Jeannette Kainu, Marketing Director, Iverson Mall


A circa-1967 site plan of IVERSON MALL. The 527,000 square foot complex was anchored by Washington-based Woodward & Lothrop and Montgomery Ward. There were over seventy inline stores, as well as office and bank buildings.


A cut-away view of the Wards-to-Woodie's (south-to-north) elevation. The complex would be remodeled on a couple of occasions over the ensuing years but would never be physically expanded beyond its original parameters.

A site plan depicting IVERSON MALL, as it commemorates its 40th year in business. No longer a regional-class shopping venue, the community-class complex of 2007 has -nonetheless- eclipsed rivals such as LANDOVER MALL and CAPITAL PLAZA, which have just been demolished.


The bi-level mall concourse and circular stairway, as they appeared in the early 2000s.
Photo provided by Ms. Jeannette Kainu, Marketing Director, Iverson Mall


Another early 2000s-vintage interior view. Burlington Coat Factory, a 2008 addition, replaced Value City. This store had set up shop in 2 floors of an empty Woodward & Lothrop.
Photo from www.cbre.com (CB Richard Ellis Group)

The IVERSON property has been promoted with several logos over the years. Above we see a Mall Hall of Fame reproduction of its original trademark.


This graphic was introduced in the early 2000s.
Graphic from www.iversonmall.com


A new owner came on the scene in July 2014, with a floor-to-ceiling renovation being announced in September 2016. A new mall name was also bestowed; THE SHOPS AT IVERSON.
Graphic from http://shopsativerson.com


As part of the 2010s refurbishment, "Main Street" facades were added to the building's exterior. A mall entrance was also rebuilt.
Photo from http://www.herman-stewart.com (Herman Stewart Construction)


A rendering of the Upper Level of the mall's interior, post-renovation.
Drawing from www.renaudconsulting.net (Renaud Consulting)


In 2021, THE SHOPS AT IVERSON is anchored by a Roses variety store, Forman Mills discount designer apparel outlet and Shoppers World. A Food Court, installed in the early 2000s, has been gutted and reconfigured with new outward-facing stores, such as Chipotle Mexican Grill, Quickway Hibachi and WingStop. 
IVERSON MALL
Branch Avenue and Iverson Street
Prince George's County (Temple Hills), Maryland

Developers in -and around- Washington, DC were slow in building the region's first climate-controlled shopping mall. This seems especially odd when considering that Greater Baltimore, 30 miles north, had done so as early as 1958. Be that as it may, DC did catch up. Its first fully-enclosed retail center opened in the late 1960s.

IVERSON MALL was built on a 9.3-acre tract, located 4.6 miles southeast of the United States Capitol, in the unincorporated Prince George's County suburb of Temple Hills. The 10 million dollar facility was envisaged by Washington's Anthony A. Carozza. He had been the primary developer of the adjacent, 2000-unit, Hillcrest Heights subdivision between the years 1946 and 1965. 

The tentative name of the retail hub, ANTON MALL, was an amalgamation of Anthony (Carozza) and wife Anna Louise. Construction was underway by 1965. A 2-level (157,000 square foot) Montgomery Ward opened for business April 20, 1966. This was followed by the dedication of a 3-level (144,000 square foot), Washington-based Woodward & Lothrop ["Low-thrup"], which was held on July 31, 1967.

A mall-wide grand opening took place September 21, 1967, with tenants such as Lawrence Reed, Limited and Buster Brown Shoes welcoming their first patrons. IVERSON MALL encompassed approximately 526,700 leasable square feet and housed seventy-seven store spaces.

The complex had a unique design, in that it straddled the Iverson Street thoroughfare, which divided it at midpoint. There was a multilevel parking garage along the rear, connecting into a bi-level shopping concourse in front. The Upper Mall stretched between the two anchor stores; with the Lower Mall divided into two sections by Iverson Street.

Major shopping hubs in the IVERSON MALL trade area included the adjacent MARLOWE HEIGHTS CENTER (1957), CAPITAL PLAZA (1963) {7.1 miles northeast, in Prince George's County}, LANDOVER MALL (1972) {7.2 miles northeast, in Prince George's County} and FOREST VILLAGE PARK MALL (1980) {3.2 miles northeast, also in Prince George's County}.

The interior of IVERSON MALL was renovated in 1985, with all fountains being removed. By 1995, one of two original anchor stores had closed. After this, the center evolved from a regional shopping hub into a community-class venue.

The north anchor spot, originally occupied by Woodward & Lothrop, was retenanted by a 2-level (136,000 square foot), Columbus, Ohio-based Value City apparel. A (42,000 square foot) Furniture Galaxy leased the lower floor. Value City opened November 1, 1996 and was shuttered February 15, 2008.

The vacant Value City space became a Burlington Coat Factory in the fall of 2008. When Furniture Galaxy was shuttered, a (27,800 square foot) section was reconfigured as a sanctuary for the Community of Hope AME Church.

The mall's south anchor, vacated by Montgomery Ward in March 2001, was divided into two sections. Philadelphia's Forman Mills set up shop in the (66,300 square foot) Lower Level and opened on November 26, 2004. A (60,000 square foot) Total Save variety store assumed the upper level space.

In July 2014, IVERSON MALL was sold to a joint venture of Pikesville, Maryland's America's Realty and Washington's West End Capital Group. Soon after the transaction closed, a Henderson, North Carolina-based Roses discount store opened, which occupied space recently vacated by Total Save.

A comprehensive indoor-outdoor renovation was announced in September 2016. The 57 million dollar project, financed by a loan from the Prince George's County Economic Development Incentive Fund, would install "Main Street" facades along the mall's east facade, reorient various stores with exterior entrances, retenant the 4-story Office Building and refurbish all common areas. 

As part of the revitalization, the shopping hub was renamed THE SHOPS AT IVERSON. Burlington (Coat Factory) pulled up stakes in 2019 and was proceeded by Shoppers World, which opened its doors in November 2020. Other new mall tenants included Chipotle Mexican Grill, WingStop and Mamma Lucia.

Sources:

www.iversonmall.com
www.goprincegeorgescounty.com
The Washington Post
www.mncppcapps.org / "Hillcrest Heights Community Survey" / EHT Traceries, Incorporated / January 2009
www.labelscar.com
The Montgomery County Sentinel
"Iverson Mall" Flyer / H & R Retail, Inc. / Chevy Chase, Maryland
"Iverson Mall" article on Wikipedia
www.americasrealtyllc.com
www.renaudconsulting.net
http://shopsativerson.com
https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov
Buffalo's Thruway Plaza


An early 1950s view of THRUWAY PLAZA, which was one of Western New York State's first post-war shopping centers. In its original state, it consisted of a single line of stores. An open-air shopping concourse would be created by a 1956-'57 expansion.
Photo from http://wnyheritagepress.org / Buffalo Courier-Express


The strip complex had opened, with thirty-three stores, in October 1952. A grand opening party was hosted by Duncan Renaldo, The Cisco Kid, star of the western TV series of the same name.
Photo from Wikipedia / B & I Circus Store


A December 1958 snapshot shows the center section of the open-air mall. Going from right-to-left, the stores are W.T. Grant, Howard Clothes, Russell Jay ladies' wear and Martin, Limited men's wear. 
Photo from Jerome Pinson


Another view of the open-air mall was taken on the north end. On the left are Victor's Home Furnishings, Kleinhans men's wear and the center's first Adam, Meldrum & Anderson ("AM&A's") store (there would be two).
Photo from http://www.tocny.org (Town of Cheektowaga, New York)


Our first THRUWAY site plan depicts the complex of 1957. The original -1952- strip center is shown in black. The mall-making late '50s addition appears in medium gray. At this time, THRUWAY PLAZA contained fifty-six stores and services.


THRUWAY PLAZA TENANTS 1957:

J.C. PENNEY /  A & P supermarket / NU-WAY supermarket / F.W. WOOLWORTH 5 & 10 (with luncheonette) / NEISNER's 5 & 10 (with Neisner's Restaurant and Beauty Salon) / W.T. GRANT (with luncheonette) / A.S. Beck Shoes / Alcon Lock & Key Shop / Burns Barber & Beauty Salon / Cavage's Records & Cards / Colonial House restaurant / Dick Fisher Athletic Goods / Endicott-Johnson Shoes / Fanny Farmer Candies / Firestone Garage (Auto Center) / Firestone retail store / Glickstein's Jewelers / Goldin's ladies' wear / Harvey & Carey Drugs (with luncheonette) / Household Finance Corporation / Household Outfitting / Howard Clothes / Janie's Youth Center children's wear / Jacobi Brothers men's wear / Jay-Bee Pastry Shop / Kiddie Ranch / Kleinhans men's wear / L.L. Berger ladies' wear / Lerner Shops ladies' wear / Little Colony / Loft Candies / Manufacturers & Traders Trust Bank (outparcel) / Martin, Limited men's wear / Master-Simon Hardware / My Maternity Shops / National Shoe Service Repair / Niagara Cotton Shop ladies' wear / Oppenheim-Collins ladies' wear (with Andre Beauty Salon and Simon Restaurant) / Record Rack / Russell Jay ladies' wear / Sattler's children's & teen's wear / Schiff Shoes / Sears Catalogue & Appliance / Seeburg's men's wear / Singer Sewing Center / Susan Ives ladies' wear / Suzy Millinery / Thom McAn Shoes / Thruway Card & Camera / Thruway Liquor / Ulbricht's Books & Office Supplies / US Post Office /  Victor's Home Furnishings / Wahl Shoes / Wayne Optical / Woodrow

A THRUWAY logo montage consists of trademarks for stores that operated in the shopping center during the 1950s, '60s and '70s.  


By 1967, several stores have come and gone. Two newer freestanding structures house a Buffalo Savings Bank and Acme Market grocery. This store would be rebranded as a Super Duper in November 1979.


THRUWAY PLAZA TENANTS 1967:

J.C. PENNEY /  A & P supermarket / ACME Market (outparcel) / F.W. WOOLWORTH 5 & 10 (with luncheonette) / NEISNER's 5 & 10 (with Neisner's Restaurant and Beauty Salon) / W.T. GRANT (with luncheonette) / A.S. Beck Shoes / Alcon Lock & Key Shop / Berger's ladies' wear / Buffalo Savings Bank (outparcel) / Burns Barber & Beauty Salon / Burczynski Bakery / Cavage's Records & Cards / Colonial House restaurant / Dick Fisher Athletic Goods / Dixie's Sample Hat Shops / Endicott-Johnson Shoes / Fanny Farmer Candies / Firestone Garage (Auto Center) / Firestone retail store / Franklin-Simon ladies' wear (with Andre Beauty Salon and Simon Restaurant) / Glickstein's Jewelers / Gray Drugs (with luncheonette) / Gutman's ladies' wear / Household Finance Corporation / Jaine's Youth Center children's wear / Jacobi Brothers men's wear / Jay-Bee Pastry Shop / Junior Shoe World / Kleinhans men's wear / Lerner Shops ladies' wear / Loft Candies / M & T Bank (outparcel) / Marselle's Wig Mart / Martin, Limited men's wear / Morrison's ladies' wear / My Maternity Shops / National Shoe Service Repair / Parklane Hosiery / Petland / Russell Jay ladies' wear / Sattler's children's & teen's wear / Schiff Shoes / Sears Catalogue & Appliance / Seeburg's men's wear / Singer Sewing Center / Susan Ives ladies' wear / Thom McAn Shoes / Thruway Liquor / Ulbricht's Books & Office Supplies / US Post Office / Value Beauty Salon / Victor's Home Furnishings / Wahl Shoes / Wayne Optical 


The open-air THRUWAY PLAZA was enclosed and climate-controlled in 1973-'74, reemerging as THRUWAY MALL. This was its new trademark.

Our third THRUWAY layout is a provisional one, as no contemporary store maps or plans were available. We believe that all stores indicated are in their correct positions. At this time, the mall encompassed 799,100 leasable square feet and housed over ninety stores and services under its roof. 


SENECA MALL opened for business in May 1969. The complex covered 700,000 leasable square feet and contained sixty-two stores and services. In its early years, it was a major competitor of THRUWAY PLAZA and MALL. 
Graphic from the Pyramid Management Group


Greater Buffalo's super mall, WALDEN GALLERIA, was dedicated in May 1989. The six-anchor complex, with 1.2 million leasable square feet and 185 stores, put the hurt on both the THRUWAY  and SENECA malls. The SENECA property was shuttered and demolished in 1994. THRUWAY closed in November 1995 and was partially demolished in 1997.
Graphic from the Pyramid Management Group


Value City Furniture repurposed the old AM&A's building at THRUWAY MALL. The 50,000 square foot store was dedicated in October 1994. It became part of a redeveloped THRUWAY PLAZA power center, whose newly-built stores opened between 1999 and 2001.
 Photo from http://dlc.propertycapsule.com (DLC Management Corporation)


Firestone was on the original list of THRUWAY PLAZA tenants, back in the 1950s. For many years, a retail store and separate Auto Center were operated. These were consolidated into this newly-built structure in the late 1970s.
Photo from http://dlc.propertycapsule.com (DLC Management Corporation)


THRUWAY PLAZA
Walden Avenue and Harlem Road
Erie County (Town of Cheektowaga), New York
 
One of the earliest post-war shopping centers in the Niagara Frontier was developed by the Sommers Brothers Construction Company, of Iselin, New Jersey. THRUWAY PLAZA was built on a 75-acre site, located 4.6 miles northeast of Buffalo's center city. The 8 million dollar, open-air complex was adjacent to a section of the New York State Thruway that had opened to traffic on October 29, 1951.

Promoted as the largest shopping center in Western New York, the 300,000 square foot strip complex was designed by the Walter Koppel firm of Miami, Florida. Among thirty-three charter stores and services were W.T. Grant, Lerner Shops, A & P and Nu-Way supermarkets, Woolworth's and Neisner's 5 & 10s and 2-level (86,000 square foot) J.C. Penney.

A grand opening celebration commenced on October 16, 1952. The festivities were hosted by Duncan Renaldo, "The Cisco Kid", star of the syndicated western TV series of the same name. Several retail store executives were present, along with officials from the Sommers Company. Cheektowaga Supervisor Benedict T. Holz cut a ceremonial ribbon. Entertainment included animal acts from the Gengler Brothers Circus.  

THRUWAY PLAZA was expanded with a western section in the late 1950s. Two new store blocks faced those in the original strip center, creating an open-air mall concourse between them. 

A 2-level (16,000 square foot), Buffalo-based Kleinhans welcomed its first shoppers on November 15, 1956. Buffalo-based Adam, Meldrum & Anderson (a.k.a. AM&A's) opened a 2-level (60,000 square foot) location on February 14, 1957. Other new stores included Thom McAn Shoes, Sears Catalog & Appliance and a Firestone Auto Center.

Acme Markets opened a (37,000 square foot) grocery in the early 1960s. It was built as a northeastern outparcel. This was followed by a new AM&A's store, that was added to the northwest corner of the complex in the late 1960s. It encompassed 2-levels and 100,000 square feet. Courts and concourses were enclosed and climate-controlled in 1974, with the shopping hub being re-named THRUWAY MALL.

A South Court expansion was completed in July 1980. It added fifteen stores and services, including a new boutique-type Sattler's. Mall stores at this time included Altier's Naturalizer Shoes, York Steak House, Florsheim Thayer McNeil Shoes, Richman Brothers men's wear, So-Fro Fabrics, Hickory Farms of Ohio, The Fashion Factory and a Child World toy store. The shopping hub spanned approximately 799,100 leasable square feet and housed ninety-three stores and services.

The General Cinema Corporation Thruway Mall Cinema was built as a southeastern outparcel. Its first features were shown on December 16, 1977. Originally a 3-screen venue, the facility was expanded into a 6 -and then 8- plex. The theater was shuttered on November 30, 1999. It re-opened, as the Dipson Theatres Thruway Cinema 8, on June 1, 2001 and morphed into the JGM Entertainment Movieland 8 Theatres in 2004. 

Shopping centers in the THRUWAY trade area included SENECA MALL (1969-1994) {4.7 miles south, in Erie County (Town of West Seneca)}, COMO PARK MALL / APPLETREE MALL (1972) {1.5 miles southeast, in Erie County (Town of Cheektowaga)} and McKINLEY MALL (1985) {8.2 miles south, in Erie County (Town of Hamburg)}.

THRUWAY MALL did well until the completion of WALDEN GALLERIA {.8 mile northeast, in Erie County (Town of Cheektowaga)}. This mega mall's first tenants opened on May 1, 1989, with one of its stores being a relocation of the THRUWAY MALL J.C. Penney. AM&A's also moved to WALDEN GALLERIA. Their THRUWAY store went dark on July 28, 1990. Kleinhans pulled up stakes in December 1990.

The abandoned AM&A's building was subdivided, with a (49,800 square foot) Value City Furniture setting up shop in its first floor. A grand opening was held in October 1994. This new store was part of an ongoing shift to remarket THRUWAY MALL as an off-price shopping center. Unfortunately, this new focus could not change the fortunes of the past-its-prime property. 

A foreclosure auction was held in September 1994. The Buffalo-based Benderson Development Company acquired the virtually vacant facility for a rock bottom price and shuttered the interior concourse in November 1995.

As one might expect, a raze-and-replace plan had been devised. The first, announced in November 1995, would have demolished only the southern half of the complex. A second proposal, from November 1996, became the accepted plan. 600,000 square feet were knocked down, leaving the AM&A's building and freestanding Firestone Auto Center, cinema and bank structures standing. 

News of a prospective retail complex, to be known as THRUWAY CONSUMER SQUARE, surfaced in March 1997. By April, the name had been changed to THRUWAY PLAZA. The first tenant, a 1-level (90,000 square foot) Wal-Mart SuperCenter, opened its doors on January 26, 1998. A newly-built (55,400 square foot) Tops Market opened in December 1999. This was followed by a 1-level (132,300 square foot) Home Depot, which held its grand opening in 2001.

Beachwood Ohio's Developers Diversified Realty acquired the real estate portfolio of Benderson Development in mid-2004 and became the new proprietor of THRUWAY PLAZA. They sold the 572,600 square foot power center, along with fifteen other properties, to a joint venture of Elmsford, New York's DLC Management Corporation and DRA Advisors. This transaction closed in October 2016.

WalMart at THRUWAY PLAZA had pulled up stakes in April. Its vacant store was re-leased in increments. A 12,000 square foot section was occupied by Citi Trends. Planet Fitness (with 25,000 square feet) was dedicated on March 21, 2018. The Movieland 8 Theatres had been shuttered on May 11, 2015. The building was sold to a local church in June 2017. 

Sources:

The Courier-Express (Buffalo)
The Buffalo News
preservenet.cornell.edu/publications/Longstreth Branch Store.doc
Information provided by Bill Schultz and Robert Lackameyer, Greater Buffalo residents
https://cheektowagachronicle.com
http://www.tocny.org
http://wnyheritagepress.org 
http://www.ddr.com (Developers Diversified Realty)
http://rew-online.com
http://dlc.propertycapsule.com (DLC Management Corporation)
https://buffalostreets.com
Buffalo's Boulevard Mall


To see our write up on the Niagara Frontier's first fully-enclosed shopping center, please click on the link below.

https://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/search/label/Boulevard%20Mall