SOUTHDALE CENTER, America's first regional-class, fully-enclosed shopping mall, included a supermarket under its roof. The mall -and its Red Owl market- served its first patrons in October 1956. The store moved out of the SOUTHDALE mall in 1973, relocating to a freestanding store in the shopping center's periphery.
A rendering of the mallway entrance of the SOUTHDALE Red Owl. The chain, based in Hopkins, Minnesota, had opened its first store in Rochester, Minnesota in 1922. Red Owl was originally a subsidiary of The Northstar State's Gamble-Skogmo conglomerate, whose business interests included J.M. McDonald department stores, Mode O' Day and Woman's World apparel stores, Gambles hardware and automotive stores and Tempo, Buckeye and Rasco discount-variety stores.