Penn Fruit originated in Philadelphia in 1927. The chain expanded throughout the Philadelphia-New Jersey metropolitan area during the 1930s and '40s. Post-war expansion extended it into the New York City and Baltimore markets. By 1971, there were eighty locations. However, the chain was bankrupt by 1975. Its remaining stores were bought by Food Fair-Pantry Pride. All had been shuttered by late 1978.
PENN FRUIT JUNIOR-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:
*LEVITTOWN CENTER (SHOP-A-RAMA), Bucks County, PA (1953)
*MONDAWMIN CENTER, Baltimore, MD (1956)
*BERGEN MALL, Paramus & Maywood, NJ (1957) [outparcel]