This chain originated in San Francisco's West Bay suburbs in 1931. Originally known as Peninsula Stores, Limited, the company became Lucky Stores in 1935. Acquisitions done between 1951 and 1985 expanded the chain into four western states. By 1987, there were four hundred and eighty-one locations. In 1988, Salt Lake City's American Stores acquired Lucky Stores. Boise-based Albertsons bought American Stores in 1998, with the Lucky brand being retired the following year. Albertsons was absorbed by Eden Prairie, Minnesota-based SuperValu in January 2006. The Lucky Stores name was revived soon after.
Graphic from Lucky Stores
LUCKY STORES JUNIOR-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:
*EL CERRITO PLAZA, El Cerrito, CA (1958)
*THOMAS MALL, Phoenix, AZ (1963)
*SOUTHCENTER MALL, Tukwila, WA (1968)