Grand Union originated in Scranton, Pennsylvania -in 1872- as the Jones Brothers Tea Company. By 1931, there were seven hundred stores. The chain had been renamed, under the Grand Union banner, in 1928. By the mid-20th century, Grand Union was based in Wayne, New Jersey and was one of the nation's largest grocers. However, corporate buyouts and consolidations weakened the organization during the 1970s and '80s. In 2001, its stores and assets were assumed by New Hampshire's C & S Wholesale Grocers.
Graphic from Grand Union Stores
GRAND UNION JUNIOR-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:
*GARDEN STATE PLAZA, Paramus, NJ (1957)
*PRINCE GEORGE'S PLAZA, Hyattsville, MD (1959)
*NORTHSIDE CENTER, Dade County, FL (1960)