Colonial Stores began, as the Norfolk-based David Pender Grocery Company, in January 1910. In December 1940, the corporate HQ was moved to Atlanta. In June 1955, Cincinnati's Albers was acquired. By 1970, Colonial was operating four hundred and thirty stores in nine southern and midwestern states. Most locations were converted to the Big Star banner in the early 1970s. New Jersey's Grand Union chain bought Colonial-Big Star in 1977 and shuttered all stores in 1988.
Graphics from Colonial Stores
COLONIAL JUNIOR-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:
*LENOX SQUARE, Atlanta, GA (1959)
*CHARLOTTETOWN MALL, Charlotte, NC (1959)
*SOUTHPARK MALL, Charlotte, NC (1970) [outparcel]