The origin of First National Stores can be traced to 1925, when three Boston-based firms (The Ginter Company, John T. O'Conner Company and O'Keefe Company) merged. In 1927, the corporate headquarters was moved to Somerville, Massachusetts. Operating only in the Northeast, "The First National" expanded into one of the nation's largest grocers. New York's Safeway stores were acquired in 1961. By the late 1960s, markets were being operated under the Finast (FIrst NAtional STores) banner. The chain was acquired by Cleveland's Pick 'N Pay in 1978, with the corporate headquarters being moved to Ohio. After several more acquisitions and mergers, the Finast name was retired in 1994.   

FIRST NATIONAL / FINAST JUNIOR-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:

*CROSS COUNTY CENTER, Yonkers, NY (1954) [outparcel]
*MID-ISLAND PLAZA, Nassau County, NY (1956)
*ROUTE 30 MALL, Framingham, MA (1970)

Chicago's National Tea Company came into being in 1899. By 1929, there were one thousand six hundred and twenty-seven National Food Stores in operation. The chain expanded by a series of acquisitions during the 1950s and 1960s. By 1965, there were National Food Stores locations in the Midwest, Southeast, Northeast and Great Plains regions. The chain had been absorbed by Brampton, Ontario-based Loblaws in 1956. All stores in the National division had been sold and shuttered by 1995.
Graphic from National Stores / Loblaws

NATIONAL FOOD JUNIOR-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:

*WOODMAR CENTER / MALL, Hammond, IN (1955)
*APACHE PLAZA, St. Anthony, MN (1961)