A circa-1957 physical layout of TOWN & COUNTRY CENTER. The first stage of stores, which opened in 1949, is indicated in black. The second stage, completed in 1951 and 1952, appears in dark gray. The western blocks (in medium gray) were in operation by 1956. This shopping hub is noteworthy for its firsts. It housed the earliest shopping center-format J.C. Penney and S.S. Kresge stores (1949) and the original suburban Kay Jewelers.