TWIN FAIR

Upstate New York's John J. Bona, Anthony Ragusa, Louis Battaglia and John S. Nasca opened the first Twin Fair store, in Buffalo, on March 22, 1956. The chain was acquired by New York City's Unexcelled Chemical Corporation in March 1962.

Expansion into the southwestern Ohio market came about with the purchase of the seventeen store, Cincinnati-based Fashion Fair chain, in December 1968. Stores, which measured in the 49,000 square foot range, were reconfigured and rebranded as Twin Fair locations during 1969.

Cincinnati-based Federated Stores took on western New York Twin Fair locations in May 1982. These were rebranded as Gold Circle stores. Operations in Ohio were sold to Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Meijer ["Miy-ir"], who converted them to its experimental (supermarket-less) Meijer Square format. This division was not successful and was abandoned in 1986.