TOPPS DISCOUNT CITY

Hartford, Connecticut's Frank Beckerman and Selwyn Lemchen debuted their Topps Discount City chain, in Hartford, 1956. Expansion in Connecticut and into Massachusetts, New York and Illinois came quickly, with stores measuring in the 60,000 to 90,000 square foot range.

New York City-based Interstate Department Stores bought the ten-store chain in October 1960, and operated it along with the White Front discount mart operation that they had acquired in April 1959. Eventually, there were sixty-six Topps stores in operation, including the GLEN BURNIE MALL store, outside of Baltimore, that opened in March 1969.

By 1970, the chain was beginning to loose money. In April 1971, some Ohio stores were sold. More were shuttered in 1972 and 1973. Interstate Stores entered bankruptcy proceedings in May 1974. Within a year, all Topps stores would be either sold or shuttered.