LORD & TAYLOR
BLOOMINGDALE'S
SAKS FIFTH AVENUE
NEIMAN MARCUS

In the upper echelon of national department stores would be three major Big Apple-based "specialty retailers" and a fourth, which hailed from the Lone Star State. The first of these, Lord & Taylor, traces its origins to Samuel Lord and George Washington Taylor, who opened their first Manhattan mercantile in 1826.

Lord & Taylor is famous for several innovations. It was the first department store to locate to Fifth Avenue, in 1914, and the first to open a branch, in Manhasset, Long Island, in 1941. In 1916, the chain became a founding member of the American (later Associated) Dry Goods Company. It was acquired by May Department Stores in 1986 and Federated Stores in 2005.

New York City-based NRDC Equity Partners acquired Lord & Taylor Holdings in June 2006. Toronto's Hudson's Bay Company was purchased in July 2008. The two entities were placed under the operation of Hudson's Bay Company in January 2012. In the present-day, there are fifty full-line Lord & Taylor locations in ten states and the District of Columbia.

EARLY LORD & TAYLOR SHOPPING MALL STORES:
 
*FASHION CENTER, Paramus, NJ (1967)
*SHOPS AT PRUDENTIAL CENTER, Boston MA (1968)
*PHIPPS PLAZA, Atlanta, GA (1970)

Bloomingdale's, the creation of Joseph and Lyman Bloomingdale, originated in 1860, with the first bona fide retail store coming along 12 years later. The chain joined the founding members of Federated Stores in 1930 and opened its first branch, in Fresh Meadows, Queens, in 1949.

In June 2007, the Federated Stores holding company changed its name to Macy's, Inc., with Bloomingdale's being established as one of eight divisions. As of mid-2017, there are thirty-eight full-line Bloomingdale's stores in eleven states and the United Arab Emirates.

EARLY BLOOMINGDALE'S SHOPPING MALL STORES:

*SHORT HILLS MALL CENTER, Essex County, NJ (1967)
*TYSONS CORNER CENTER, Fairfax County, VA (1976)
*WHITE FLINT MALL, Montgomery County, MD (1977)

Saks Fifth Avenue joined the cadre of swanky Manhattan mercantiles early in the 20th century. The first Saks store, an amalgamation of retail outlets operated individually by Horace Saks and Bernard Gimbel, was dedicated in 1924. Seasonal resort stores opened in Palm Beach, Florida, in 1926, and Southampton, New York, in 1928. The first year-round Saks branch was dedicated, in Chicago, in 1929.

Saks & Company was acquired by BATUS (British American Tobacco) in 1973 and -then- Bahrain-based Investcorp SA, in July 1990. In September 1998, the company merged with Tennessee-based Proffitt's, Incorporated, with the new concern going under the Saks Incorporated masthead.

The Toronto-based Hudson's Bay Company completed an acquisition of Saks Incorporated in November 2013. In mid-2017, there were forty-two full-line Saks Fifth Avenue stores in twenty-two states, Puerto Rico and Ontario, Canada. Plans for two additional stores in India were announced in early 2017.

EARLY SAKS FIFTH AVENUE SHOPPING MALL STORES:

*SUNRISE CENTER, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (1954)
*OLD ORCHARD CENTER, Skokie, IL (1958)
*PHIPPS PLAZA, Atlanta, GA (1968)

Dallas-based Neiman Marcus was founded by Herbert Marcus, his sister Carrie Marcus Neiman and her husband, Abraham Lincoln Neiman. Their first mercantile commenced operation, in downtown Dallas, September 15, 1907.

A branch opened, on the northern outskirts of Dallas, in 1951. Houston was the location of a second branch...which opened in 1957. The chain's fourth store, a replacement for its circa-1951 operation, opened in August 1965, at Dallas' NORTHPARK CENTER mall.

A merger with California's Broadway-Hale stores was conducted in 1968. Following this union, the chain expanded exponentially. A partial severance from the parent company, by then known as Carter-Hawley-Hale Stores, took place in June 1987, with full independence for the Neiman Marcus division established in 1999.

The chain was acquired by a joint venture of San Francisco-based Texas Pacific Capital and the New York City-based Warburg Pincus, Limited Liability Company in May 2005. They sold Neiman Marcus to a joint venture of Los Angeles' Ares Management and Toronto's Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in September 2013. As of mid-2017, there were forty-two Neiman Marcus stores in sixteen states, as well as the District of Columbia.

EARLY NEIMAN MARCUS SHOPPING MALL STORES:

*NORTHPARK CENTER, Dallas, TX (1965)
*GALLERIA POST OAK, Houston, TX (1969)
*LENOX SQUARE, Atlanta, GA (1972)