Broadway Stores, May Co. California's primary competitor, built their Moderne-style store right across the avenue. The "Broadway-Crenshaw" store, this chain's third branch, welcomed its first customers in November 1947.
Drawing from http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org / The Los Angeles Times
Photo from www.theotherstream.com (Richard Longsteth)
Most of the 1940s-vintage shopping center was demolished in the late 1980s, leaving its two anchors intact. These were worked into a 2-level, fully-enclosed mall, which extended over West Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard and connected into the May Company store on the north side of the thoroughfare. A new name for the complex was bestowed; BALDWIN HILLS-CRENSHAW PLAZA.
A regional shopping center becomes a bona fide mall. The new BALDWIN HILLS-CRENSHAW PLAZA (indicated in medium gray) was officially dedicated in November 1988. It encompassed 850,000 leasable square feet and included a shiny new Sears, to compliment previously-existing May Co. and Broadway stores.