Two 20th century titans attended the mall's opening. Arthur Vining Davis (on the left) developed the complex, along with Sears. He was a Miami real estate tycoon who had been president and chairman of the board of Alcoa (Aluminum Company of America). In 1960, he was considered the third-richest man in the world. Sebastian Spering Kresge (on the right) opened his first 5 & 10 in Detroit in 1899. By 1960, the Kresge Corporation operated the second-largest variety store chain in the nation.
Photo 1 from http://webapps.jhu.edu/namedprofessorships/images/Davisdon
Photo 2 from http://kresge_org/about-us


Hartley's opened their second branch store at NORTHSIDE CENTER (the first had been in Fort Lauderdale). Selling fashions for men and women, the NORTHSIDE store featured murals painted by Anton Refregier and Howard Mandel.
Drawing from The Miami News


A vintage shot of the NORTHSIDE Sears Auto Center.
Photo from http://search.pbase.com / Don Boyd


In a circa-'70 layout, we notice two recent additions. The Northside Theatre opened, as a single-screen venue, in January 1968. By 1970, it has been reconfigured as the Northside Twin 1 & 2. Miami's J. Byron chain chain opened a NORTHSIDE store in October 1969.