Miami-based Richards anchored the west end of the original 163rd STREET CENTER. The store, which was originally 2 levels, opened for business 5 months after the mall's official November 1956 dedication.
Drawing from http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com
A Food Fair supermarket anchored the east end of the mall. It was rebranded as a Pantry Pride in the late 1960s. A second Pantry Pride location was built at the rear of the shopping complex, with the store depicted above being town down to accommodate a Jordan Marsh department store.
Drawing from The Miami News
Speaking of which, we have a message from Jordan Marsh of Florida. This advert, which appeared in November 1956, wished the new 163rd STREET CENTER well. "Jordan's" did not have a store in the mall at the time (but would open one 14 years later).
Advert from The Miami News