Cars fill the parking lot on September 10, 1954...the center's grand opening day. At this time, the complex consisted of just an open-air strip of stores.
Photo from http://digital.archives.alabama.gov / John Engelhardt Scott 


In June 1957, an open-air mallway was dedicated, which cut through the existing strip center and extended to a new W.T. Grant variety store. With this expansion, the complex would be promoted by the press as "one of the Southland's most striking pieces of architecture".
Photo from http://digital.archives.alabama.gov / John Engelhardt Scott 


A small Woolworth's, in the original strip center, was replaced by a larger store on the new open-air mallway.
Photo from http://digital.archives.alabama.gov / John Engelhardt Scott 


In a color shot from 1965, we see the center's primary anchor, Loveman's of Alabama. It had opened, in September 1954, as the first branch of the Birmingham-based chain.
Photo from http://digital.archives.alabama.gov / John Engelhardt Scott 


A physical layout of the complex, with the 1957 expansion shown in gray. The combined GLA of both shopping center segments was approximately 330,000 square feet.


NORMANDALE SHOPPING CITY TENANTS 1958 [partial list]:

LOVEMAN'S OF ALABAMA / F.W. WOOLWORTH (with luncheonette) / KWIK CHECK Supermarket / W.T. GRANT / A. Nachman / Baker's Shoes / Brenner's Shoe Factory / Bronson's Toyland / Buster Brown Shoes / Capitol Clothing / Cohen's Records / Dad 'n Lad Shop / Darby & Sons Cleaners / Deshield's-Larson's Shoes / Flack's, Limited / Francis Cafeteria / Gulp Piano & Organ / Hancock Fabrics / Joy's Sodas & Sandwiches / Lee's Drugs / Liger's Bakery / Lou Herman's Town & Country / Louise's Beauty Salon / Mel's Photo Shop / Normandale Delicatessen / Normandale Jewelers / Parker-Sledge Hardware / Peoples Bank & Trust / Saul's Footwear / Thom McAn Shoes / Twix 'N Teens / Western Auto / Wright Interiors