A plan of the circa-1959 center, which had been built on the site of a municipal airport. The original complex, encompassing 559,700 leasable square feet, was anchored by Montgomery Ward and Dearborn-based Federal's. There were also Kresge and Woolworth 5 & dimes and Wrigley's Market and Food Fair grocery stores. The store block indicated in gray was added in the early 1960s.