ALA MOANA CENTER in 1959. The 680,000 square foot complex was anchored by a 2-level (250,000 square foot) Sears. The Lower (or Street) Level had a truck tunnel that was surrounded by inline stores. These were accessed from the adjacent parking garage. Stores on the Upper (or Mall) Level were situated along an open-air mallway.
ALA MOANA in 1966. The Diamond Head Wing (in gray) had just been completed. It consisted of 3 floors; the First (Street). Second (Mall) and Third (Upper) Levels. The complex now encompassed 1.3 million square feet, making it one of the largest retail centers in the fifty states.