In a circa-1959 rendering, we see the prospective VISTA PLAZA CENTER. Sears would have occupied the anchor position on the right, with Marston's presiding over the left end of the complex. The official name of the mall-to-be was changed to "CHULA VISTA CENTER" in 1960.
Drawing from http://www.sunnycv.com / Steve Schoenherr / Star News
The fourth mall-type center in -or around- America's Finest City was built in two stages. Stores were dedicated between July 1962 and November 1963. CHULA VISTA CENTER followed La Mesa's GROSSMONT as the second shopping venue developed by the Marston's / Broadway-Hale chain. In the mid-1964 plan above, we see the original twenty-store complex.
CHULA VISTA CENTER TENANTS 1964:
MARSTON'S (with the Orange Tree Dining Room) / J.C. PENNEY (with freestanding Auto Center) / S.S. KRESGE 5 & 10 (with luncheonette) / SAV-ON DRUG (with luncheonette) / DE FALCO'S FOOD GIANT / Cafe Continental / Chula Vista Beauty Boutique / Flagg Brothers Shoes / Foreman & Clark men's wear / Gallenkamp Shoes / Harris & Frank men's wear / Harry & Paul's Barber Shop / Koven's Jewelers / Lerner Lloyd's Chevron (outparcel) / Marsi's ladies' wear / Rayas men's wear / Security First National Bank / Dr. Gene Sieben, Optometrist / Streicher's Shoes / Winchell's Do-Nut Shop