By August 1971, a new JCPenney trademark was being used in print ads. It is likely (but not confirmed) that the Penney's in Schaumburg, Illinois' WOODFIELD MALL was the first location to feature the new Helvetica-font trademark. The store, which opened its doors in October 1971, housed a whopping 299,800 square feet. It was the largest store in the chain; a distinction it held for over 26 years.
The WARWICK MALL store, in Warwick, Rhode Island, opened for business in March 1980. It housed 144,600 square feet and brandished the Helvetica JCPenney trademark.
A visual history of J.C. Penney trademarks, spanning from 1950 to the present.