After interminable delays, construction of the city's urban renewal mall got underway in 1974. A first phase structure, known as GALLERY AT MARKET EAST (or THE GALLERY), was dedicated in 1977. It had connections into the 46-year-old Strawbridge & Clothier flagship (at 8th and Market) and featured a brand new Gimbels...which had relocated from a circa-1894 store (on an alternate corner at 8th and Market).