Filene's NORTHSHORE store was the first operational tenant at the shopping center; opening for business in September 1957. Although the basic mall was designed by Seattle's John Graham, Junior, this particular store was envisaged by Raymond Loewy.
Photo from Library of Congress

The open central plaza "Court of Flags" area, fronting on Jordan Marsh. This store held its official grand opening in August 1958. The mall was officially dedicated in September.
Photo from

St. Therese's Carmelite Chapel (the "Church In The Mall") was the earliest devotional facility to operate in a suburban shopping center. The first services were held in January 1960.
Photo from / "Flickriver PhotoStream" / William Bird