Victor Gruen (1903-1980), one of the men who conceptualized the shopping mall as we Americans came to know it.
Photo from US News and World Report (See Media Fair Use rationale at end of article)
Much has been written about Victor Gruen (born Viktor Gruenbaum), the Austrian e'migre' who escaped Nazi-occupied Europe in 1938 and arrived in New York City with a degree in architecture, eight dollars in cash and no command of the English language.

From these humble beginnings sprang an illustrious 39-year career in the design of retail structures, which got underway with his creation of fashionable Fifth Avenue boutiques and work on renovating several Manhattan department stores.


URBAN TO SUBURBAN


At the close of WW II, America, after years of depression and global conflict, was poised for major economic expansion. Virtually all this growth would occur in new, outlying suburbs. The regional shopping center would become the center of commerce in this reconfigured landscape.

Gruen had many innovative concepts that were utilized in constructing these new-style, suburban centers. He also had a great deal of input in the urban renewal projects that resulted from America's shift away from downtown-centered commerce.


The best known of his concepts -The Gruen Transfer- involved trying to increase consumer spending by manipulating shoppers to do impulse buying. According to Gruen, this could be accomplished via unconscious influences of lighting, ambient sound and music, visual detail of storefronts, mirrored or polished surfaces and climate control of interior spaces.


CENTER CITY CENTRES

Gruen also believed that America's central cities, which had been decimated by suburbanization in the 1950s and '60s, could be revitalized by constructing expressway loops around downtown areas, routing automobile traffic into parking garages and creating pedestrian-only zones, free of vehicular traffic, on previously-existing streets.

His first downtown redevelopment plan was commissioned by Fort Worth, Texas in 1955, but never carried out. Kalamazoo, Michigan, Fresno, California and Honolulu, Hawaii implemented parts of Gruen's plans, building only open-air pedestrian malls.

Twenty-six malls designed by Gruen (or conceptualized with his input) have been inducted into the MALL HALL OF FAME. Articles for Northland Center, Valley Fair Center, Southdale Center, Bay Fair Center, Eastland Center, Glendale Center, Winrock Center, Cherry Hill Mall, Midtown Plaza, Randhurst Center, Topanga Plaza, Greengate Mall, Westland Center, Plymouth Meeting Mall, South Coast Plaza, Midland Mall and Central City Mall are included in the following section.

Write-ups for Yorktown Center, Woodmar Center, Northway Mall, Brookdale Center, Rosedale Center, South Hills VillageSouth Shore Plaza and Maryvale Shopping City may be found by clicking on the "More Gruen Malls" link at the end of this section.
It would be the spring of 1962 before a fully-realized, "Gruenized", downtown was dedicated; Rochester, New York's MIDTOWN PLAZA mall being at its epicenter. Several American cities -medium-sized to gigantic- followed with their own version of center city shopping mall

However, by the 1980s, the newness had worn off. The fact had to be faced; no redevelopment scenario, even though grandly-conceived and expensive, could reverse the exodus of retail trade from the blighted central city. Most downtown malls were eventually torn down, with the pedestrian-only streets being re-opened to automobile traffic.

Gruen's idea of a suburban shopping mall as a European-style town center of culture and entertainment was plausible for a while. The enclosed shopping mall of the 1960s was often promoted as a venue for concerts, pageants and other public events. However, mall management entities eventually came to the conclusion that hosting such large-scale events was a cost-prohibitive endeavor, involving a great deal of problems and liability issues. Such spectacles became less and less frequent.

NO ALIMONY

Alas, Victor's vision of the American retail center as a public gathering space was eventually undermined by the corporate directive for mere profit. He became disillusioned, retired from the Gruen Associates firm he had started, and returned to Vienna in 1967. Shortly before his death in 1980, Gruen dismissed the shopping mall, which he had been instrumental in creating, by saying "I refuse to pay alimony to those bastard developments."

Forthcoming is a selection of Victor Gruen's most noteworthy shopping mall projects. Some never made it past the drawing board. Others came to fruition and remain viable retail centers to this day. Still others were successful for a number of years but have since been partially, or entirely, redeveloped.
Detroit's Eastland Center Project


Gruen's first design for a shopping mall was commissioned by Detroit's J.L. Hudson Company. A suburban center would be built in the eastern environs of the Motor City. Above, we have a rendering of the Hudson's that was to anchor the prospective EASTLAND CENTER. The circular structure was to include a rooftop parking deck.


A circa-1951 site plan for what would have been Greater Detroit's first regional shopping center. Korean conflict building material shortages put the brakes on construction. A more conventional -Gruen-designed- mall opened on the site 7 years later.
One of Victor Gruen's earliest shopping center plans was commissioned by Detroit's J.L. Hudson Company in 1950. The chain was pondering expanding to suburban locations. A 97.8 acre tract, 14 miles northeast of the urban core and located in Gratoit ["Grash-it"] Township / Wayne County, was under consideration for development.

A space-age design complex envisioned by Victor Gruen was to be anchored by a circular Hudson's department store, which would have had a rooftop parking deck. The shopping venue was to be open-air, comprising nine store blocks; these arranged in a circle around a center parking area. The buildings would be connected via walkways and plazas in between, with an underground service tunnel providing out-of-sight freight access to the stores.

The plan was quite revolutionary for its time. However, building material shortages due to the Korean conflict put the project on indefinite hiatus in 1951. 6 years later, a more conventional design, open-air shopping mall opened on the site. 
Houston's Montclair Center Project

Gruen's second prospective retail center was to be built on a two parcel (23.7 acre total) site, located 6 miles west of downtown Houston. The plan envisaged for the MONTCLAIR SHOPPING CENTER was even more innovative than that of Detroit's circa-1950 EASTLAND.

The proposed Houston complex was to be anchored by two major department stores. This was unheard of in 1952, when what few suburban shopping malls that existed were centered on only one. Moreover, the complex was to feature a fully-enclosed and climate controlled "mall" area...yet another radical -and untried- concept.

The center would have straddled the two adjoining land lots, with Weslayan Street (which bisected the site) being routed beneath the mall structure. This design feature, along with a rooftop parking deck, made the construction cost for the center prohibitive.

Gruen and his backers were unable to commit two competing department stores to the project. The plan was abandoned, with a smaller-scale strip center eventually being built on the property.

Gruen's MONTCLAIR CENTER plan, several years ahead of its time, was perhaps too radical a concept for the conservative, early 1950s. At the time, the idea of a single-anchor, open-air mall was only starting to catch on. Here, we had a plan for a bi-anchor, fully-enclosed shopping complex.


From our shopping center article library, we present Gruen's Malls
Detroit's Northland Center


The third shopping mall designed by master architect Victor Gruen -the first one actually built- was completed in March 1954.

The NORTHLAND J.L. Hudson would be the largest branch department store ever built in the United States. Originally encompassing 4 levels and 486,200 square feet, it was rebranded by Marshall Field's in 2001 and Macy's in 2006.


The four directionally-designated malls of the Motor City debuted with Southfield's NORTHLAND CENTER, in 1954. EASTLAND CENTER, in Harper Woods, was completed in 1957. Westland's WESTLAND CENTER was third in line, being dedicated in 1965. SOUTHLAND CENTER, in Taylor, opened in 1970. It would be the fourth -and final- project.

Proclaimed a "shopping paradise" and "city within a city", NORTHLAND CENTER was America's largest shopping center for its first 2 years in business. The open-air mall encompassed over 1 million leasable square feet and housed an initial sixty-seven stores and services. Its sprawling parking area could accommodate 7,500 autos at one time.


NORTHLAND CENTER TENANTS 1954:

J.L. HUDSON (with The Northland Room restaurant, Piccadilly Circus Cafeteria, freestanding Garden Center and Tire Center) / S.S. KRESGE 5 & 10 (with luncheonette) / KROGER supermarket / CUNNINGHAM DRUG (with luncheonette) / A.S. Beck Shoes / Albert's ladies' wear / Appearance Shop / Artiste Beauty Salon / Awrey Bakeries / Baker's Shoes / Banner News Agency / Barna-Bee Children's Shop / Better Made Potato Chips / Bloetscher's Meats / Brennan's / Brothers Delicatessen / Center Music Shop / Chandler's Shoes / Community Key Shop / del Gaudio Gifts / Morris Disner & Sons / Dube's Barber Shop / Dunn's Camera & Hobby Center / Elliot Travel Service / Enggass Jewelry Company / Englander Furniture Shops / Fanny Farmer Candies / Father & Son Shoes / Fintex / Fisher Wallpaper & Paint Company / Great Lakes Seafood & Poultry / Nat Green Maternity Modes / Himelhoch's ladies' wear / Hot 'N' Kold Shop electronics & appliances / Household Finance Corporation / Hughes & Hatcher / G.R. Kinney Shoes / Kline's / Thom McAn Shoes / Macauley's / Marianne Shops ladies' wear /  Marwil Book Company / Maskell Flowers, Incorporated / Maxwell's Toys & Records / Northland Portait Studio / Palmer's Sandwich Shop / Peter Pan Snack Shop / Phillip's Red Cross Shoes / Queen Cleaners & Dryers / Raimi's Curtains / Robelle Shops / Robinson Furniture / Sallan Jewelers / Sanders Candy / Schiller's Millinery / Stouffer's restaurant (outparcel) / Suzy Hats / The Cotton Shop ladies' wear / The Detroit Bank / The Detroit Free Press / The Detroit News / United Shirt Distributors / US Post Office / Van Horn's men's wear / Wilbur-Rogers / Wright-Kay Jewelers / Zuieback's Suburban ladies' wear   

The main entrance area of the mall consisted of a large open court and city bus stop. A customer pick-up zone for the Hudson's anchor store was on the lower level.
Photo from http://gruenassociates.com / Gruen Associates


In this snapshot, we see the Hudson's Northland perfume counter.
Photo from http://gruenassociates.com / Gruen Associates


This full-page ad appeared in the March 25, 1954 edition of a local newspaper. It thanked the local populace for the warm reception given to the newly-opened shopping center 3 days earlier.
Advert from The Birmingham Eccentric

Above and below we have two views of the Great Lakes Court, which was situated in the southeast end of the complex. The Sallan Jewelers store is seen on the right.
Photo from Malls of America Blogspot


The multi-story structure in both pictures is the mall's humongous Hudson's. The open areas at the top of the building were filled in with a full fifth floor in 1960.
Photo from Malls of America Blogspot


The North Mall and south entrance of  S.S. Kresge, which was an operative of the Motor City's hometown 5 & 10 chain.
Photo from Malls of America Blogspot


The East Mall, which extended along the back side of the center, facing Greenfield Road.
Photo from Malls of America Blogspot

The NORTHLAND and EASTLAND centers were enclosed and climate-controlled simultaneously. The 50 million dollar dual renovation of the properties commenced in July 1973. Both mall's emerged fully-enclosed in August 1975.
Graphic from the Dayton-Hudson Corporation


A view of the mammoth mall soon after it made the change from outdoor to indoor. A shiny-new J.C. Penney may be seen in the lower right.
Photo from Malls of America Blogspot

A site plan dated 21 years after the first. Three additional store blocks (in dark gray) were built in the 1960s. By 1973, an additional anchor store was also underway. J.C. Penney opened -in May 1975- as part of a  newly-enclosed mall.

In a circa-1996 plan, we see that the bus stop area at the front of the mall has been filled with inline stores (1981). A Main Street store opened in 1988, morphed into Kohl's (1989) and then Jeepers (1994). Montgomery Ward reconfigured existing space in the northeast corner of the complex, with their store also opening in 1994. Target has just built a store on the mall's southwest corner.


The mall entrance of the aforementioned Target, which was the mall's most recent addition. The 116,000 square foot store opened in March of 1996.
Photo from www.shopatnorthland.com

A photo showing Hudson's just before it was refitted with a Marshall Field's nameplate, in August 2001. The store was rebranded as a Macy's in September 2006.
Photo from http://www.history.sandiego.edu


NORTHLAND CENTER turned 60 in March 2014. After all of its years in business, it still held the distinction of being the largest shopping center in The Wolverine State.
Photo from http://www.history.sandiego.edu


A circa-2014 site plan. The closings of Target and Macy's, in 2015, would leave the mall anchor-less. Nearly 50 percent vacant, the entirety of NORTHLAND CENTER  was shuttered in April 2015, ending over half a century of operation.

A circa-2004 photo of "Bear & Boy", which was sculpted, by Marshall Fredericks, for the original shopping center. At the time of this image, the work was being used as a court area centerpiece. It was relocated to the Southfield Public Library in May 2016.
Photo from www.shopatnorthland.com


Since the mall's shuttering in April 2015, redevelopment plans -such as the one depicted above- have come and gone. The latest advocates repurposing mall buildings as a mixed-use retail, residential and office facility. Old and new structures would incorporate the Mid-Century Modern architecture of the original mall. 
Drawing from http://www.imaginenorthland.com
NORTHLAND CENTER
Northwestern Highway and 8 Mile Road
Oakland County (Southfield), Michigan

The third mall-type center designed by master architect Victor Gruen was the first that was actually built. NORTHLAND CENTER was situated on a 129 acre tract, located 10 miles northwest of center city Detroit, in unincorporated Oakland County / Southfield Township. Ground was broken for the project May 7, 1952.

The complex was a sprawling, 1,040,200 square foot, open-air structure. It encompassed 2 levels. The ground floor was devoted entirely to retail. A basement included lower levels for the larger stores, two subterranean shopping concourses, storage areas and a truck tunnel. During the mall's early years, the basement was also maintained as a fallout shelter.

A 4-level (486,200 square foot) J.L. Hudson, the first suburban location in the Detroit-based chain, was situated in the center of the cluster-type mall. This store was surrounded by five retail blocks and seven open court areas. All enclosed structures were air-conditioned.

Court areas at NORTHLAND CENTER featured fountains, magnolia and cherry trees and flowers. In all, over 45,000 plants had been cultivated. Prerecorded music could be heard over a system of loudspeakers.

Thirteen sculptures had been designed by six artisans. These works included "Water Mobile" and "Fish Group" (by Richard Hall Jennings), "Turtle" (by Arthur Craft),"Baby Elephant" and "Giraffe Family" (by Malcom Moran), "Birds of Flight" (by Gwen Lux) and "Bear & Boy" (by Marshall Fredericks). 

The 30 million dollar shopping venue officially opened for business on March 22, 1954, with sixty-seven stores and services. Within months, a total of eighty-one were in operation. At the time of the mall's completion, its 7,500 car parking area was the largest in the world.

In keeping with the 1950s concept of a regional center as a one-stop shopping destination, the original NORTHLAND CENTER included ten dress shops, seven shoe stores, three millinery shops, three jewelry shops, four home furnishing & appliance stores, five men's & boy's shops and four restaurants, as well as a bank, post office, 5 & 10, garden supply store, medical clinic, record store, drug store, beauty parlor, lost children office and three hundred seat Community Room. The mall even had its own fire department.

Charter tenants included Hughes & Hatcher men's wear, Winkelman's and Himelhoch's ladies' wear, Barna-bee Children's Shops, Robinson Furniture, Baker's Shoes, Chandler's Shoes, Sanders Candy, the Hot 'N' Kold Shop (home appliances & electronics), a Kroger supermarket and S.S. Kresge 5 & 10.

The area surrounding -and including- the shopping center was incorporated, as the City of Southfield, in April 1958. Improved access came in 1962, when the James Couzens (later John C. Lodge) Expressway was extended from Detroit's Wyoming Avenue to 8 Mile Road.

By this time, other shopping malls were being developed in the NORTHLAND trade area. These included  LIVONIA MALL (1964-2009) {6.8 miles southwest, in Livonia}), WESTLAND CENTER (1965) {11.9 miles southwest, in Westland}and TEL-TWELVE MALL (1968-2001) {4.7 miles northwest, also in Southfield}. NORTHLAND CENTER had to do a major upgrade in order to stay competitive.

The first expansion of NORTHLAND CENTER enlarged the Hudson's anchor store to 5 floors and 537,000 square feet. This project was completed in 1960. Three inline store blocks were added to the complex soon after; two on the southeast corner and one on the northwest.

A subsequent renovation was done between July 1973 and August 1975. A 2-level (284,000 square foot) J.C. Penney was built on the mall's northeast corner. The store opened its doors, in unison with a brand new EASTLAND location, on May 21, 1975. The second phase of this 25 million dollar project enclosed the mall. NORTHLAND CENTER re-opened, as a fully-enclosed shopping unit, on August 3, 1975. With its twenty-one store expansion, it now encompassed approximately 1.5 million leasable square feet.

A bus stop area at the front of the shopping hub was filled with a new block of inline stores in 1980-1981. By the mid-1980s, several major tenants had vacated, including S.S. Kresge, Jo-Ann Fabrics and The Limited. Illinois-based Main Street joined the tenant list in 1988. This 1-level (61,000 square foot) store would be rebranded by Wisconsin-based Kohl's on March 19, 1989.

A new decade brought a 7 million dollar indoor-outdoor face lift. New lighting, ceilings, flooring and skylights were installed. An 8-bay Food Court was created in existing mall space. The culinary complex opened in November 1991.

Montgomery Ward gutted store space in two northwest blocks, creating a 2-level (118,400 square foot) store. This opened for business on November 19, 1994. A (40,300 square foot) T.J. Maxx had welcomed its first customers on November 10th. The next expansion extended NORTHLAND CENTER southeast. A 1-level (116,000 square foot) Target made its debut on March 10, 1996.

Montgomery Ward closed its underperforming store in early 1998. J.C. Penney was shuttered in June of the year 2000. Kohl's pulled out of the mall in 2004. The old Montgomery Ward was leased to National Wholesale Liquidators, who opened in October 2004 but closed in November 2008. Hudson's was rebranded as Marshall Field's in August 2001 and morphed into a Macy's in September 2006.

The shuttering of the NORTHLAND CENTER Target, on February 1, 2015, left the massive mall with just one anchor to sustain it. Cincinnati's Macy's Inc. announced that the mall's Macy's would also be closing. This transpired on March 23, 2015, leaving the historic shopping hub completely anchor-less.

By this time, the owners of NORTHLAND CENTER had defaulted on a 31 million dollar loan, sending the property into receivership. 3 million dollars were also owed in back taxes and utility bills. An estimated 6 million dollars were needed to complete various repairs to the 1,680,000 square foot structure. In February 2015, an Oakland County judge approved plans to vacate and shutter the historic shopping hub. This process was completed April 10, 2015.

Between the mid-1990s and early 21st century, ownership of NORTHLAND CENTER had changed four times. The latest transaction, which closed in October 2015, transferred the deed of the shuttered shopping center to the City of Southfield.

Demolition of the NORTHLAND CENTER Target and Firestone buildings commenced in October 2017. Redevelopment plans for the remainder of the mall came and went. The latest, from 2020, advocates repurposing single story structures surrounding the Hudson's anchor store as loft apartments. The Hudson's building would house a retail market, with food hall, shoppes and office suites. 

Multi-story structures, containing townhomes and additional shoppes and offices, would be built in the former parking area, with patches of greenspace also created. Old and new structures would incorporate Mid-Century Modern-style architecture, similar to that used for the original mall in 1954.  

Sources:

 "Shopping Centers: Locating Controlled Regional Centers" Eugene J. Kelley -1956
preservenet.cornell.edu/publications/Longstreth Branch Store.doc
http://www.michiganhighways.org
The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Michigan)
The Ottawa Citizen
The Detroit Free Press
The Birmingham (Michigan) Eccentric
The Milwaukee Journal
"Golden Northland" / Detroit Free Press / March 22, 2004 / Greta Guest, staff writer
Northland Center Leasing Plan / GP Northland Center, LLC
"Images of Modern America - Northland Mall" / Gerald E. Naftaly
http://www.shopatnorthland.com/pressrelease/2009-02-03-northland-center-has-new-owners/2130558145
http://www.aacrealty.com (Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation)
Commentary by Darius Wilder and "BAK"
http://www.crainsdetroit.com
http://www.imaginenorthland.com
www.michigansthumb.com
San Jose's Valley Fair Center


North Court in the original, open-air VALLEY FAIR CENTER. The mosaic-tiled tower on the left was part of an exhaust system for a subterranean shipping and receiving area.
Photo from Malls Of America Blogspot

A circa-1956 site plan of the original VALLEY FAIR CENTER. In its early years, the mall had only a single anchor...Macy's California. The other large store space indicated here was a supermarket.

A mid-'60s VALLEY FAIR view, with the adjacent STEVENS CREEK PLAZA in the upper left corner. The California Route 17 expressway runs along the bottom of the photo (or the east side of VALLEY FAIR CENTER). The highway was opened to traffic in the late 1950s.
Photo from Malls of America Blogspot


A stunning nighttime shot of the VALLEY FAIR CENTER Macy's, showing its high-end, Mid-Mod design.
Photo from http://www.flickr.com / "HmDavid"


A mallway in the original VALLEY FAIR CENTER.
Photo from http://www.flickr.com / "HmDavid"

In the mid-1980s, the bulk of VALLEY FAIR CENTER was demolished. Its Macy's was incorporated into a newly-built, connecting corridor mall (shown in light gray). It linked the store with structures originally part of STEVENS CREEK PLAZA (indicated in black). The amalgamated shopping hub was called simply VALLEY FAIR. Over on the east side, the route of California 17 had been redesignated as Interstate 880.


A circa-2002 site plan shows all of the changes done to the mall since the 1980s. The 1986 structure (shown in black) has been expanded with a second mallway (indicated in medium gray) linking a new Nordstrom with the original Macy's (now a Women's Store). Three parking garages have also been added. WESTFIELD SHOPPINGTOWN VALLEY FAIR now houses 1,473,500 leasable square feet.

WESTFIELD VALLEY FAIR in 2014. The mall has just emerged from a minor redo, where two sections were remodeled. Near Nordstrom, a "Luxury Collection" was created. On Level 2, the existing Food Court was refashioned into a "Dining Terrace".


The uber upscale Luxury Collection wing features names such as Cartier, TAG Heuer and Wolford. Stores heralded as "fashion forward" and "first-to-market" translate to very expensive.
Drawing from www.westfield.com (Westfield Corporation)


The new Dining Terrace features Pizza Vino Bar, Super Duper, Chicken Wow, Old Port Lobster and Panda Express...to name a few.
Drawing from www.westfield.com (Westfield Corporation)

If the mall wasn't big enough already, it certainly was when a 600 million dollar expansion was completed. A long-delayed remodeling got underway in early 2015. By 2020, a 2.2 million square foot buying behemoth has a fourth anchor (Bloomingdale's). There were also a new shopping concourse, two high-tech "digital garages" and a movie theater (the first in the mall's 60-year history).


Here we see the Outdoor Dining Terrace, with a shiny new Bloomingdale's in the upper right corner of the rendering.
Drawing from www.westfield.com (Westfield Corporation) 
VALLEY FAIR CENTER
Stevens Creek Boulevard and Eastshore Freeway
San Jose, California

Victor Gruen's second bona fide shopping mall project was built on a 41 acre tract, located 5.5 miles southwest of San Jose's Central Business District. The mall site was adjacent to a newly-opened segment of the Eastshore Freeway.

A 3-level (157,300 square foot) Macy's became the first operational VALLEY FAIR store, on August 10, 1956. Sommer & Kaufmann Shoes opened for business March 22, 1957. Joseph Magnin welcomed its first shoppers on August 8th.

When fully-leased, the 488,000 square foot mall featured Mode O'Day Frock Shop, Thom McAn Shoes, Campi's Music, Leed's Qualicraft Shoes, The Fashion, Lerner Shops, The Cable Car Restaurant and an F.W. Woolworth 5 & 10.

VALLEY FAIR CENTER was famous for the carnival rides that had been installed on the roof of its Macy's. Included were a 40-foot ferris wheel, merry-go-round and mini-train. These attractions were removed in late 1957.

In 1963, the center was sold to El Segundo, California-based Ernest W. Hahn, Incorporated. It was around this time that a 78,600 square foot fourth level was added to the existing Macy's, taking space previously used for the "rooftop fair". The store now encompassed 235,900 square feet.

By late 1970, the shopping hub was officially promoted as VALLEY FAIR MALL. The first of many parking garages was added to the east end of the complex.

Competing shopping malls sprang up in the region, including EASTRIDGE MALL (1971) {6.9 miles east, in southeast San Jose}, OAKRIDGE MALL (1973) {6.4 miles southeast, in San Jose}, VALLCO FASHION PARK (1976) {3.3 miles west, in Cupertino} and SUNNYVALE TOWN CENTER (1979-2007) {5.5 miles northwest, in Sunnyvale}.

In 1985, the TrizecHahn corporation acquired STEVENS CREEK PLAZA and began a large-scale renovation of it and VALLEY FAIR MALL. The bulk of VALLEY FAIR was razed, leaving only the Macy's and its parking garage standing. The department store, expanded by 160,000 square feet, would now comprise 396,000 square feet of floor space.

A 100 million dollar, 2-level mall concourse was built. This linked an expanded Macy's with the Emporium and I. Magnin at the old STEVENS CREEK PLAZA. At the center of the center was a 2-level (168,000 square foot) Nordstrom. Renamed simply VALLEY FAIR, the amalgamated mall encompassed 1.2 million leasable square feet. One hundred and twelve stores (out of an eventual one hundred and seventy-five) were dedicated October 15, 1986.

Major retail complexes in the VALLEY FAIR trade area now included WESTGATE MALL (1960) {2.9 miles southwest, in Campbell} and -eventually- GREAT MALL OF THE BAY AREA (1994) {6.4 miles northeast, Milpitas}.

Anchor stores at VALLEY FAIR changed nameplates during the 1990s. I. Magnin closed in 1992. Its building was leased as Copeland Sports (which eventually morphed into Sports Authority). The Emporium was expanded with an additional (85,000 square foot) third level, for a grand total of 316,000 square feet. The store was rebranded as a Macy's Men's & Home Store in 1996.

In 1998, TrizecHahn sold the complex to a joint venture of Australia-based Westfield Holdings (now the Westfield Corporation) and the Maryland-based Rouse Company. Westfield soon established full ownership of the venue and renamed it WESTFIELD SHOPPINGTOWN VALLEY FAIR. This was truncated to WESTFIELD VALLEY FAIR in June 2005.

Meanwhile, a major expansion had begun in late 1998. The project, encompassing three phases of construction, included two parking garages and a new 3-level (225,000 square foot) Nordstrom. A fifty-store, wrap-around concourse (built north of the existing mall and connecting the original Macy's and second Nordstrom) was dedicated in 2001. The circa-1986 Nordstrom was then sectioned into thirty store spaces. The renovated retail hub was re-dedicated on May 22, 2002.

2006 brought news of a third major expansion of the 1,475,600 square foot, two hundred sixty-two-store, WESTFIELD VALLEY FAIR. The project was to add 650,000 leasable square feet in a second wrap-around concourse of seventy-two stores. This would be built on the south side of the existing mall, replace a parking garage, and connect the two Macy's stores.

Two new anchors, a 2-level (120,000 square foot) Neiman Marcus and 3-level (150,000 square foot) Bloomingdale's, would be included in the new concourse. Moreover, the existing Safeway supermarket and CVS Drug, outparcels of the circa-1964 STEVENS CREEK PLAZA, would be relocated to new structures and a parking garage would be built to replace the parking structure being demolished.

The project was approved by the local government in November 2007. However, The Great Recession derailed the prospective renovation. It was put on indefinite hold in May 2009.

In the meantime, a refurbishment of two sections of the existing mall was carried out. Work started in September 2012. The Food Court on Level 2 was gutted and rebuilt as a more upscale "Dining Terrace". It encompassed 23,000 square feet and eighteen eateries.

On Level 2 of the mall, just east of Nordstrom, tenants were relocated to other spaces in the mall. The concourse became a "Luxury Collection" of high-end retailers, with names such as Cartier, Burberry, TAG Heuer, Wolford, Prada and Zara. These new sections of WESTFIELD VALLEY FAIR were officially dedicated November 1, 2013.

In 2015, the long-awaited expansion of the mega mall was revived. The original plan for two new anchor stores (Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus) was amended to include only a 3-level (150,000 square foot) Bloomingdale's and state-of-the-art ShowPlace ICON cinema. Construction commenced in early 2015 on a high-tech "digital garage", which was replacing an existing structure at the northeast corner of the mall site.

The new garage was dedicated in late 2015. Following this, an existing parking structure at the front of the shopping hub (running along  Stevens Creek Boulevard) was demolished; this to provide room for the new Bloomingdale's, Outdoor Dining Terrace and second "digital garage". An ICON movie megaplex was also to be installed in another area of the mall. These projects were complete by March 2020.

Meanwhile, Westfield's American and European property portfolio was merged into the holdings of Paris-based Unibail-Rodamco in June 2018. A new company, known as Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield was created. Westfield shopping centers in Australia and New Zealand were not included in the merger.

Sources:

"Westfield Valley Fair" article on Wikipedia
www.renewvalleyfair.com
www.cestcop.com / Mike Carrol Productions
http://www.bigmallrat.com/
Post By Paul
Santa Clara County tax assessor website
www.cahighways.org                                                           
San Francisco Business Chronicle (article by Renee Frojo)
Minneapolis' Southdale Center


A vintage SOUTHDALE CENTER trademark. This highly-historic shopping complex was the first developed by Minneapolis' Dayton Company (which later morphed into the Target Corporation).
Graphic from Victor Gruen Associates

Autumn 1954 and America's first regional-class, fully-enclosed shopping mall is in the early stages of construction.
Photo from http://www.mnhs.org/library/tips/history_topics/72southdale.html (Minnesota Historical Society -Southdale Mall)


By the autumn of 1956, finishing touches are being added to the indoor Garden Court.
Photo from http://www.mnhs.org/library/tips/history_topics/72southdale.html (Minnesota Historical Society -Southdale Mall)


October 8, 1956. SOUTHDALE CENTER opens for business. The complex encompasses over 800,000 leasable square feet and will eventually house seventy-two stores and services.
Photo from http://www.mnhs.org/library/tips/history_topics/72southdale.html (Minnesota Historical Society -Southdale Mall)

A layout showing the orientation of the mall's split-level parking area. There were fifteen individual lots, each named after an animal. This was done to make it easier for departing mall patrons to find their cars among the 5,200 spaces provided.


SOUTHDALE CENTER TENANTS 1956:

DAYTON COMPANY (with Valley View Room restaurant and public auditorium) / L.S. DONALDSON (with Minnesota Room restaurant and public auditorium) / RED OWL supermarket / F.W. WOOLWORTH (with luncheonette) / Anderson Shop China & Glassware / The Cotton Shop / Bachman's Florist / Roy H. Bjorkam, Inc. ladies' wear / Boutell's Furniture / Bringold Meats / Suzy Hats / Brown Photo / Buttrey Stores, Incorporated ladies' wear / Chandler's Shoes / Baker's Shoes / DeLaria Delicatessen / Edina Liquor Store / Egekvist Bakery / Fanny Farmer Candies / Farm & Orchard Fruits & Vegetables / Farnham Stationers & School Supplies / First Southdale National Bank / Gager's Handicraft / Flagg Brothers Shoes / John W. Heller ladies' wear / Household Finance Corporation / Jack & Jill Children's Shop / J.B. Hudson Jewelers / Jackson-Graves ladies' wear / Juster Brothers men's wear / Juvenile Shoes / Kelco Storeware / G.R. Kinney Shoes / Kiddie Koral children's amusement area (with zoo) / Fashion Beauty Salon / Marshall Wells Hardware / Minneapolis Gas Company / Mode O'Day Frock Shop / Marvin Orek & Associates ladies' wear / Peck & Peck / The Purple Door Greeting Cards / Pets Unlimited / Peter Pan Restaurant / The Record Shop / Richman Brothers men's wear / P. Schlampp & Sons Furiers / Shirley's Maternity Fashions / Sidewalk Cafe / Slenderella Figure Salon / Southdale Men's Store / Southdale Appliance Repair Center / The Toy Fair / Thorpe Brothers Real Estate / United States Post Office / Walgreen Drug (with luncheonette) / Walter's, Incorporated ladies' wear / White Way Cleaners / Wirt Wilson & Company

OUTPARCELS:
Southdale Garden Center / Pure Oil service station / Western Oil & Fuel Company    

A high-definition Complete Plan of the Lower Level of SOUTHDALE CENTER, as it was situated at the mall's October 1956 grand opening. All thirty-three operational tenants are shown.


A Complete Plan of the mall's circa-1956 Upper Level, with includes all of its twenty-nine inline stores. Six freight transport "cores" are shown in medium gray. Each of these had a freight elevator, passenger elevator and set of stairs.


A cut-away view of the SOUTHDALE CENTER Garden Court. The tall structure on the left is the 45-foot-high bird aviary, which, as per Victor Gruen's instructions, was stocked with sixty songbirds. Bird cages such as this became a standard fixture of America's early shopping malls.


Roy H. Bjorkman, one of ten ladies' wear stores in the original mall. It occupied a space on the Upper Level, near the Donaldson's mall entrance.
Photo from http://gruenassociates.com / Gruen Associates

A color postcard pic of the SOUTHDALE Garden Court. The 100-foot-wide plaza provided shoppers a respite among its fountains, flora and fauna. There were also a Sidewalk Cafe and modern art sculptures. The new concepts presented here were emulated in every interior mall built in America over the next 30 years.
Photo from www.lileks.com (James Lileks)


Southdale's primary anchor, Minneapolis-based Dayton's, is seen on the left of this image. The mall's F.W. Woolworth 5 & 10 occupied a 2-level store on the Lower and basement floors of the complex.
Photo from http://gruenassociates.com / Gruen Associates


An interior view of the Dayton's Southdale store. Here we see the "TV-Radios" Department.
Photo from http://www.mnhs.org/library/tips/history_topics/72southdale.html (Minnesota Historical Society -Southdale Mall)