St. Louis' Northland Center


Ground was broken in February 1954 for the Gateway City's first suburban shopping hub. The first stores opened in August 1955, with dedications continuing into 1956. The South Mall store block at NORTHLAND CENTER is depicted above. Famous-Barr (seen in the background) anchored this ultra-modern mercantile.


A court between the North Mall block and Famous-Barr, which is on the left. This rendering shows some of the intriguing angularity of the "space age" structure; an aspect that was obviously given much thought by its designers. This is something sadly lacking in the conception of today's slew of cookie-cutter-concocted, "post-modern" retail venues, which all look essentially the same.