Out in the Lone Star State, Houston's Henke & Pillot competed with the Weingarten's chain. Henke & Pillot's first store opened -in Houston- in 1882. Weingarten's first dated to 1901. "Henke's" MEYERLAND PLAZA location is depicted above, which opened for business in October 1957. The chain had been acquired by Cincinnati's Kroger conglomerate in May 1955. Henke & Pillot stores were finally rebannered, under the Kroger name, in 1966.