Even in the earliest days of the car culture shopping plaza, it was not uncommon for a particular center to have more than one grocery. Kansas City, Missouri's COUNTRY CLUB PLAZA opened, in the 1920s, with a Wolferman's gourmet grocery. This would be followed by the dedication of Kroger and Muelback On The Plaza stores in 1946.
Whitehall, Ohio's TOWN & COUNTRY DRIVE-IN CENTER opened Big Bear, its first supermarket, in 1952. By the mid-1950s, the complex also included Kroger and Albers grocery stores. The nation's first Two Market Mall was Southern California's LAKEWOOD CENTER (1952), which featured Hiram's and Boys Market stores.
TWO-SUPERMARKET SHOPPING MALLS:
*MONDAWMIN CENTER, Baltimore City, MD
Penn Fruit (1956) and Food Fair (1956)
*HILLSIDE CENTER, Village of Hillside, IL
Kroger (1956) and Kuemann's (1956)
*ROOSEVELT FIELD CENTER, Nassau County, NY
Food Fair (1956) and Grand Union (1956)