The original retail rival of SUNSET CENTER was a small open-air, cluster-type complex. WOLFLIN VILLAGE opened in the summer of 1953 and is in business to this very day.
Graphic from http://wolflinvillage.com
Photo from http://www.morriscp.com/properties (Morris Capital Partners)



Next came WESTERN PLAZA, a fully-enclosed mall, which was dedicated in early 1968. After a prolonged commercial demise, it was shuttered in April 2006, demolished in June 2007, and replaced by WESTERN CROSSING. This power plaza held its grand opening in November 2008.
Drawing from http://www.amachron.com (Amarillo Chronology) / The Amarillo Globe
Photo from www.loopnet.com



WESTGATE MALL was dedicated in October 1982, with Bealls ["bellz"], Mervyn’s, Sears and Dillard’s as anchors. J.C. Penny arrived in January 1986, after being snatched from SUNSET CENTER.
Graphic from https://www.westgatemalltx.com
Photo from www.bing.com