The mall's original footprint. The official grand opening was held, with eighteen stores, in March 1955. There were thirty-six retail spaces in the fully-leased complex. In the early 1960s, a go-kart track was set up in the west parking area. By the mid-1960s, new flooring allowed patrons to "shop in carpeted luxury".


VALLEY FAIR CENTER TENANTS 1955:

W.T. GRANT / KRAMBO FOODS / F.W. WOOLWORTH 5 & 10 (with luncheonette) / WALGREEN DRUG (with luncheonette) / Alfred Jung men's wear / Arcade Barbers / Badger Paint & Hardware / Birchwood Luncheonette / Donald's Furniture / Eddie's Self-Service Liquors / Edith Lewis Tot Shop / Fanny Farmer Candies / House of Beauty / House of Cards & Cameras /  Mrs. Hamilton's Kitchen Bakery / Neumode Hosiery / Nobil Shoes / Ritz Millinery / Russell W. Brown Carpets & Draperies / Three Sisters ladies' wear / Thom McAn Shoes / Valley Fair Cleaners & Launderers 


The shuttering of Grants, in 1975, created a major vacancy. This was filled when an expansion was done in 1977-1978. A new Kohl's and Kohl's Foods were built on the east end of the existing structure, with the Grants space being expanded and refitted with twenty inline stores. A tri-plex cinema was also added to the south side of the mall.