America's very first Shopping Center Cinema dates back to the silent film era. It opened, in October 1928, at Kansas City, Missouri's COUNTRY CLUB PLAZA.
Janet Gaynor topped the bill in "Street Angel", the very first "flick" shown at the Plaza.
This Spanish Colonial motif movie house was eventually replaced by Palace On the Plaza, a 14-screen megaplex, which showed its first features in May 1999. With its theatrical tenure over, the movie house seen above was renovated into a Restoration Hardware store.