Sidney and Herbert Hubschman opened their first "Two Guys From Harrison" home appliance store, in an abandoned RCA factory in Harrison, New Jersey, in 1947. In 1959, the O.A. Sutton Corporation was acquired, which manufactured fans and air conditioners.
A new parent company, named Vornado, Incorporated, was created, with its home office established in Garfield, New Jersey. Its Two Guys chain, selling a full array of merchandise, expanded throughout the Mid-Atlantic region, with the typical store being in the 110,000 to 190,000 square foot range. A large supermarket was included in the store footprint.
The California market was entered in 1969 when shuttered Unimart stores -merged into Vornado, Inc. in 1967- were rebranded.
The fortunes of the Vornado parent company began to decline in the late 1970s, with various stores being sold. As a result of a shift toward real estate development, the corporate moniker was changed to Vornado Realty Trust.
In March 1979, Vornado was acquired -in a hostile takeover- by New York City-based Interstate Properties, Incorporated. The remaining Two Guys locations were disposed of, with the final twelve stores shutting down in February 1982.
TWO GUYS-ANCHORED SHOPPING MALLS:
*DEL AMO CENTER, Torrance, CA (1972) [outparcel]
*TWIN CENTERS MALL, Oxnard, CA (1973) [previously UniMart]
Click on this link to view a vintage TWO GUYS TV commercial>