Talk about humble beginnings! Here we see a photo of the very first William M. Burdine store, taken soon after its 1896 inauguration. The Burdine's chain relocated from Bartow, Florida to the fledgling city of Miami in 1898, and grew along with it...by leaps and bounds.
Photo from "VictorianMutant"


Burdine's first branch opened in Miami Beach in 1929 and moved into a second location in 1936. The store relocated into the structure seen here in November 1953.
Photo  from Library of Congress


Washington, DC's Woodward & Lothrop chain opened its first capital city store in February 1880. The initial mercantile relocated once before moving into the F Street flagship seen above, in 1887. The building was expanded in 1897, 1912 and 1926.
Photo from Library of Congress


Atlanta's Rich's enterprise began in May 1867. The store relocated on six occasions before settling into this building in 1924. The structure would be enlarged eight times before its shuttering, in 1991.
Photo from Library of Congress  


Over in the Bayou City (a.k.a. Houston), the Foley's chain was to ascend to the top of the Lone Star State retail scene. The store seen here replaced an abandoned J.C. Penney at Dallas' trendy NORTHPARK CENTER in October of 2000.
Photo from Wikipedia / "02080"