The Gimbels Brothers (Gimbels) enterprise began with a Milwaukee store, opened in October 1887. A second division was established in Philadelphia in March 1894, when Haine & Company was acquired and rebranded. Gimbels' Philadelphia flagship is seen above, as the store appeared at the turn of the century.
Photo from Library of Congress 


Expansion of the Gimbels conglomerate continued into the early 20th century. A New York division got underway with a Manhattan store, dedicated in September 1910. The fourth and final operation was established in 1925 in Pittsburgh, with the acquisition and rebranding of the Kaufmann & Baer Company.