No new Wards stores were built to service the massive economic expansion of the early post-war period. The first shopping center-centric location was finally dedicated in 1958. By this time, arch rivals Sears & Roebuck and J.C. Penney were well-entrenched in America's booming suburbs.
Montgomery Ward was slow in adapting to the mid-century mall model. Their first "mall" store opened for business, at Greater Denver's LAKESIDE SHOPPING CITY, in August 1958. This new generation Wards comprised approximately 110,000 square feet, with its freestanding Wards Auto Center housing 19,900.
Photo from http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com