The first phase of CROSS COUNTY CENTER was dedicated in April 1954, with thirty-five stores and services. The center was built by Sol Atlas, under the auspices of Yonkers-based Eastern Shopping Centers.
By the mid-1950s, two anchor department stores had been completed. Three additional retail blocks (indicated in gray) were added in 1957-1958, which increased the center's store count to seventy-six. The complex was adjacent to the final construction segment of the New York State Thruway. It had opened to traffic in September 1956.