A pre-construction rendering of the TOWNE MALL McAlpin's. The Cincinnati-based retailer opened a downtown Middletown location in July 1951, which moved to the MIDDLETOWN SHOPPING CENTER in October 1958. This relocation of that store opened its doors in February 1975.
Drawing from the George C. Crout Collection, courtesy of the Middletown Public Library


Elder-Beerman, the west anchor of TOWNE MALL, nears completion in this early 1977 snapshot.
Photo from the George C. Crout Collection, courtesy of the Middletown Public Library


In another 1977-vintage view, we see the mall's Main Entrance, with the McAlpin's store off in the distance.
Photo from the George C. Crout Collection, courtesy of the Middletown Public Library


A site plan of the original -465,400 square foot- facility. Its inline store space and anchors are situated on a single level. Everything converges on a sunken Center Court