"THE QUAD" opened for business in 1953. Here we see the east store block and northeast corner of the Hinshaw's anchor store.
Photo from http://www.flickr.com/photos/milliemotts/2984458772 (Millie Motts' Photostream)
WHITTIER QUAD as it was configured in 1954. At this time, the shopping hub encompassed approximately 188,700 leasable square feet. As one can see, the open-air mall occupied only a portion of the site at this time. Most of the remainder (in medium gray) was subdivided into residential lots.