Montgomery Ward, the original mall's only full-line anchor, made its debut in the fall of 1958. It was one of the Chicago-based chain's first shopping center-format stores.
Photo from http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com


The southwest corner of the mall, circa-1960. The Blue Ridge Bowl (bowling alley) was located beneath the Safeway and was accessed from the mall's lower -or Concourse- level.  
Photo from http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com