An aerial view of ANTIOCH CENTER, from late 1956. As was the case with most shopping malls of the mid-century, the complex was completed in phases over the course of several years. The initial stage of ANTIOCH CENTER was anchored by a large W.T. Grant variety store, which is seen in the foreground of this image.
Photo from http://antiochcrossing.com
Our first ANTIOCH CENTER site plan shows the Stage One shopping complex. It contained thirty-three stores and services under its roof and included a T. G. & Y. 5 & 10 and two supermarkets. The facility was situated on 2 levels, with the lower facing on a sunken parking area on the east side.
ANTIOCH CENTER TENANTS 1956:
W.T. GRANT (with Bradford Room restaurant) / T. G. & Y. 5 & 10 (with luncheonette) / KROGER supermarket / THRIFTWAY FOOD MART / Antioch Laundromat / Antioch Lanes bowling alley / Antioch Prescription Center / Cook Paint & Varnish Company / Crown Drug / Dunn's Shoes / Eisen Fabrics / French Rug Company / Fidelity Finance Company / Gladstone Television Sales & Service / Harold's Barber Shop / House of Flowers / Joe Falk Toys, Hobbies & Sporting Goods / Jolene's Artists in Iron / Knox Jewelry & Sporting Goods / Mars Cleaners / Mary Lue Wade Dance Studio / Mayberry's Gift Shop / Midland Hardware Company / Mode O'Day Frock Shop / Perkey Shoe Repair Service / Robinette's Dress Shop / Ronnie's Fashion Beauty Salon / Sacony Mobil Oil service station (outparcel) / Slater's Pastry Shop / Stella's Fashion Shop / The Travel House / Thom McAn Shoes / US Post Office / Velvet Freeze Ice Cream