Washington, DC's CONNECTICUT AVENUE PARK & SHOP courted its first customers in December 1930. The shopping hub was one of the first in the nation to provide an off-street parking area.
Photo Library of Congress
The Park & Shop encompassed 59,000 square feet of selling space and originally housed fourteen stores and services. It was developed by Herbert Shannon and Morton Luchs and designed by Arthur Heaton.
Highland Park Shopping Village
In January 1931, the "Unit B" building at Greater Dallas' HIGHLAND PARK SHOPPING VILLAGE opened for business. Of all the early "car culture" shopping hubs thus mentioned, this was truly the most innovative. Its store blocks faced inward onto two parking areas, instead of fronting directly on a city street.
Photo from www.hpvillage.com
Click here for an in-depth HIGHLAND PARK VILLAGE article...