The downtown Dayton's was completed in 1902 and expanded in 1947. The retail chain, in operation for nearly 100 years, was converted to the Marshall Field's brand in August 2001. All stores in that Chicago-based chain were "Macy-ated" in September 2006. The flagship Dayton's encompassed a whopping 1,276,000 square feet. Macy's shuttered it in March 2017.
Photo from Wikipedia / Bebak Ha 'Eri


The original L.H. Donaldson "Glass Block Store" was completed in 1884. Expanded with an addition in 1904, it was something of a turn-of-the-century merchandising marvel.
Photo from http://www.lileks.com/ / James Lileks


The same building, with a Mid-Mod facade added in the late 1940s. Donaldson's abandoned this store in 1982, moving to smaller quarters in the new MINNEAPOLIS CITY CENTER mall across the street. The abandoned Donaldson's burned to the ground in November 1982.
Photo from http://www.lileks.com/ / James Lileks